As early as 1807, the inhabitants of the Gyenes, which still belonged to Keszthely, decided to build a chapel in honor of God. At that time the remaining ruins of St. Elizabeth's Chapel in the village were demolished. However, Count György Festetics, the landowner of the village, did not contribute to the construction, so the stones were sold by the citizens of the village, and the price was put to interest. After the count's death, the people turned to his son László Festetics, who not only allowed the construction of the chapel, but also supported it with building material, and added land to it.
The church objects and all the equipment of the church were donated by the Count's wife, the Princess and her daughter, Countess Ilona. The classicist-style church was completed in a year and a half, and was dedicated in 1826 in honor of St. Ilona. The semicircular sanctuary is the same width as the ship. Above its two-columned gate you can see a tympanum and a small tower. The cross was placed on the tower in the year following the consecration. It is only the one St. Ilona church in the country.